8.18.2011

a resistant soulmate

as much as i can’t stand it
you’re the one for me
i try so hard to suppress my emotions
but i wear my heart on my sleeve
unintentionally

every time i see you
it’s a feeling i can’t describe
for so long i’ve been in denial
not even convinced if i were bribed

i’ve been down this emotional path
a time before, maybe two
and as soon as i go on a few random dates, thinking it was over
i turn right back to you

i hate it!
it’s so confusing the way my mind plays tricks
but the love i feel for you inside
weighs on my heart like a ton of bricks
you need to stop making me feel like this!

you probably don’t do it on purpose
i’d be giving you too much credit if i said you planned it
just your persona and aura makes me weak
and for real, i can’t stand it.

unhand me, sir.
i’m asking you nicely.
release my emotions
back into the depths of the sea.

effortlessly
you received them
unfairly you kept yours hidden
i felt like i was on a one way street
while you waited jokingly at the other end.

don’t pretend
that you didn’t feel the chemistry between us
when we first laid eyes on each other.
you learned i was a few years younger
but the love you felt for me you never felt for another.

you discovered
we were a lot alike
just from the interactions we had
and the cute ways we laughed at each other’s jokes
made all the other chicks mad

too bad!

i knew all along this day would come
and i’d be lying if i didn’t say i was proud
but the amount of time it took to get here
shouldn’t have been allowed.

two stubborn people
with independent minds of our own
we dated around and met some cool people
but because we weren’t together, i was really blown.

is it because of your beautiful brown skin?
or is it your thick, curled eye lashes?
it may even be your perfect white teeth,
but no matter the situation i get hot flashes.

maybe it’s your kind heart
or the gentle words you say
to make people feel welcome and loved
in every single way.

maybe it’s your quirky personality
no one sees you like i do
maybe it’s how i miss you when we’re not together
and my whole world turns misty blue.

you mean so much to me
i could become undignified.
is it the way you love me?
just writing this about you makes me teary eyed

i think of you nostalgically
as if we were together in another life
like maybe then we were lovers
you were my husband and i was your wife

this just isn’t right
it’s some type of sick joke fate is playing on us
we know we belong together
marriage, kids, and such.

you help me be a better person
i help you organize your thoughts
together we’re unstoppable
but only one of us can be ‘the boss.’

i submit, because that’s the order.
what i have is yours, and what’s yours is mine
i’m nothing but willing to share
in order to watch our fruit blossom from one vine.

we are one
from now until forever
i’ll do whatever i can to see you prosper
and give up on us, never.

i promise to protect your heart
because i am your rib
i will shield your emotional being
like a baby is shielded by a crib

i will honor and always trust you
to make decisions on my behalf
i know we’ll make mistakes
but at least we’ll be able to look back and laugh

you are my one and only, babe
i was made for you and you for me
so on this day I surrender myself
and vow to love you unconditionally.

in sickness and health
till death do we part
may the story of our love
truly be God’s best work of art.

you are a wonderful man
i love you, and i always will.
cherish every moment we have together
because time never stands still.

you’ll always be the one for me
and i’ll always be the one for you
so no matter what happens in this life
just remember: all that matters are we two.


best friends became husband and wife
mister and misses however, whatever, whenever
i got your back for real
and that’s a responsibility i treasure

we have the future ahead of us
and after all that we’ve been through
we deserve to be together
there’s no stopping me and you.


(c) ronetta cheryll

No comments:

Post a Comment