10.03.2011

51. don't use "lol" for an entire week

i accomplished this! yes. it was so hard challenging for me at first, and i even had to delete some sentences because they seemed so harsh without my beloved "lol" but i made it through.

monday-tuesday were probably the hardest days, mainly because it seemed like i was not doing the funny things justice without using "lol"...the funny things seemed really mundane and boring when typed, and so i had to find other ways to express how humorous a situation was. some of my favorite lines were:

i am really struggling not to use an acronym right now.
this is definitely "laughing my a** off" worthy.
#dead
*flatlines*

and my all-time favorite:

okay, that just took me out of here.

i had to be extra creative to get an "lol" point across without seeming corny i struggled with this, too or crass it didn't always work out.

wednesday morning, looking back, was probably the most ironic of all. i *ahem* got into somewhat of an argument with the infamous ronnie (my biological father).

now, for those of you who know this story/saga/mess, you understand why this is really nothing new. but for you new buddies (welcome!), i'm going to rewind a bit.

skip all the way past my childhood, because that isn't what this is about (long story short, he was incarcerated from when i was 5 months old until i was almost 23 years old). let's get right to the nitty gritty. since his release in may or something of 2009, he has been a like an upper respiratory infection in my life. not serious enough to kill me, but definitely annoying for a few days here and there throughout the year. and if you're anything like me, you get these about once every season or quarterly. oh, and if i don't see a doctor (typically my mom, in the case of ronnie), things get that much worse because the irritation festers.

on tuesday evening, he e-mailed me offering to give me a cd/radio console for my car. now, keep in mind my car is less than 5 years old and everything in it is directly from the manufacturer, including the sound system (which comes with an ipod/mp3 player plug-in and a cd deck). a big bank still technically owns my car since i still make monthly payments, so i'm not trying to do anything too permanent to the car before it is totally all mine--which would, even then, only include speaker enhancement and maybe a slight tint on the windows--just in case i trade my car in next year for a new one.

it took me a few hours to decide i wasn't going to take something from him, just because he offered and it's free. i flat out didn't need the unit and wouldn't use it, so the next morning, at the crack of dawn, i replied with my answer.

after replying, i checked facebook. now, the previous day i'd told him to stop poking me (gross, right?). this had to have been about the eleventy-ninth time i've asked him to stop. not to mention i've ignored him and he's still done it. i've also put him on limited profile where he was unable to poke me.

then facebook changed the privacy settings and i started getting poked again.

*pause*

*taps foot*

so i got agitated. this is one of the many examples of this guy not respecting my wishes, not listening, not understanding. so i told him "enough with the poking, okay? who pokes?! sheesh... :)" now, this was during my "don't use lol" week, so i couldn't use it to lighten the load. while i was dead serious, i meant no harm...i just wanted him to back off listen and understand.

instead, i get a smart ass reply that said "i don't know, there's a lot of don't do this and don't do that, but you can't even answer a question. a simple yes or no would've sufficed, but anyway, how are you?" now, i rephrased so that it sounds coherent, but this same message was typed with a lot of internet lingo and southern slang. so much, that the sentences were almost unrecognizable.

this is when i lit him up. i went back to the e-mail and asked that he check time stamps before he opens his mouth about someone not replying.

needless to say, i haven't received a reply, which is probably for the best, since i have a really tough time holding my tongue with this guy.

i may even post an entry about the estrangement stuff later, because i need to get a lot off my chest and i just flat out hate don't like this guy at all. there are no appealing or redeeming qualities whatsoever that make me feel any differently. *shrugs*

but i digress.

that was my only adverse event in my quest to not use "lol" for an entire week. mostly everyone else didn't notice or just didn't mention it. i had a lot of fun with it...i think.

for humor's sake: lol.

have you ever tried to stop using some of the humorous acronyms? what were your tragedies and triumphs? do you have any hilarious stories from moments where you had to catch yourself before using it?

i make it sound like drugs.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there. I just found you via a little plug from Cranky Old Man. but I am enjoying reading you and will be sticking around!

    Best Wishes
    Lou :-)

    ReplyDelete